Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Electric fireplace makeover

 Jake got this electric fireplace on the side of the road about 2 years ago. What a great find! it was in perfect condition and even works. I'm not too great at the before and after stuff since I spontaneously re-do things. The center part was brass, it was an eye sore and just recently I have been getting better at decorating and figuring out what my style is.
 After:


 I wanted the wood to be dark and a friend told me to use gel stain. Just an FYI it is impossible to find gel stain. I stripped and sanded the wood and after all that work, Jake told me it was a wood veneer and it became so thin after all the work I put into it that the wood probably won't take the stain. I tried an espresso colored oil based stain, and that was just a waste of time.
 Then after going all over town looking for gel stain I found this amazing stuff called PolyShades at Home Depot. It is oil based polyurethane and stain all in one but works like the gel stain in that it covers more than penetrates the wood, but without the mess of having to wipe off excess. I only used 2 coats and it comes in many traditional stain colors and satin or glossy.
 I would say this is the best stuff to use on a wood veneer. You do not have to sand first.
 I used the classic black in Satin and I still got a lot of wood grain showing through.

No comments:

Post a Comment