Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mashed squash

I gave in for a few weeks and gave Savannah store bought baby food because the doctor said to give her more meat to help her gain weight.  I tried a few times to make my own baby food with meat in it but the consistency was just gross, and Savannah agreed. Well, the meat did not help her gain weight, she is 15 lbs 10 oz. at 9 months, which puts her in the 5th percentile, she is 28 1/2" long which puts her in 75th for height (yay!), she is still wearing most of her 3-6 month clothes which is good because her cousin was in that size last summer. I love hand-me-downs. So I'm back to trying to make more fattening baby food again.  Jake and I have this new grocery store by our house called Bottom Dollar Foods and yes it is a little ghetto but has extremely good prices and they send lots of coupons in the mail.  He was able to find an acorn squash (which is a winter squash) and I finally found a great recipe to make with it.
Mashed Winter Squash: The Joy of Cooking
for every 1 c. mashed squash
1 winter squash
1 T. butter
1 t. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. ground cinnamon
approx 1/2 c. orange juice

Preheat oven to 375
Pierce squash 4-5 times then place in baking dish and bake for 45-90 minutes (until skin is tender).
Cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Scrape out remaining squash and mash. Add all ingredients and blend, add orange juice until soft and creamy.

I made this as baby food and let me tell you, Savannah LOVED it. The next day we found out that she is allergic to orange juice so now I get to eat the leftovers.  I LOVE it, the mashed squash is so delicious, I just wish Savannah could have some because now I have to go and make her more food. Very time consuming, especially when my baby happens to be allergic to most of the stuff I give her.  The doctor said to start trying yogurt and cheese with her and so far yogurt seems to be ok but I'm starting very slow since she is allergic to whey protein ( it's a family trait).

She is crawling very fast and getting into everything, trying to pull herself up with no success still, and holding her own bottle! I love the age that she is at now, some things are harder but for the most part we have the acid reflux under control and she is finding everything entertaining. I also have her sitting up in shopping carts now which works as long as nothing is within reach and I don't take too long. My grandma helped us grocery shop today, she really enjoyed pushing Savannah around in the cart, and I really enjoyed having a helper./

No comments:

Post a Comment