Friday, March 30, 2012

Machine change up

Last June I decided to buy a new sewing machine, since the base model I had didn't have some of the features I needed. I ended up buying the BabyLock Grace, which is way more than I asked the salesman for but I do have to say it's been great. I spent way to much money on it and I've already had to take it in twice for repair. I'm not very happy about that. Because it's computerized I have more trouble with heavier fabrics and I've broken two needles. That's not really unusual except when you break a needle with this machine, first you get yelled at by the salesman, second I scratched the bobbin case (which they said they would replace and never did), and third a pice got stuck in the bottom of the machine. It doesn't come apart as easily as my old one. Finally, after the second repair, my mom suggested I use my old machine to make the diaper bags.


My Elna (old machine) is a beast. It cuts through the many layers of fleece, fabric, and interfacing like it doesn't even exist. It's not automatic and it get's snagged all the time, but it will save me time and money from having to go get repairs again.

This is the sewing room in my house. The whole front of my house has this long indoor porch, I think it's called a Florida room. It open's up with glass french doors from the living room and one side is the sewing side, and the other side is for my piano. This room was carpeted with gold walls when we bought the house. We had to do a lot of refinishing to get the floors back to the original wood.
I've been working hard lately to get everything done and since I've been on a pretty good track, getting the diaper bag done before the shower, I decided to make Jake a present. I got this fabric in Lancaster. He slept with it on top of his head most of the night because he "didn't want to mess it up"

No comments:

Post a Comment