Saturday, May 5, 2012

parenting a difficult child

Sorry to vent about my baby in the last post. I really do love her.
This frustrating time in our lives is helping me realize the reasons these things are happening.  I can't figure out why Savannah has been so tired lately, but it almost like she is a newborn again. She takes 2-3 hour naps and when she wakes up we get an hour to play and eat and she's ready for bed again. I keep her up as long as possible. She also sleeps about 10-11 hours straight at night and I have the same problem in the morning. I'm pretty sure she was screaming in the mall with my mom and I, because she was so tired and refuses to sleep anywhere but her crib. She has never been the type to sleep in the car seat, or stroller.  If anyone has advice how to remedy this situation I would appreciate it. I know it sounds like I'm lucky and should be happy about this but it's frustrating when I need to go out for a few hours. 
I have a lot of trouble getting her to play by herself and I think it's because she loves her parents and thinks we are fun. Toys just don't compare. When Jake and I are home and comfortable we can be quite goofy and it doesn't take a lot to make her laugh when she is in a good mood.  These toys are repetitive and just not funny.
Everyday has been a fight getting her to eat solid foods. We got over the problems with her not drinking around 4 months but now we have a problem getting much food in her system at all. When we give her a bottle she only takes about 2-4 ounces every 3 hours and solid food I try so hard to figure out what she likes other than bananas but I just get everything spit back in my face (she has mastered the raspberry) and clenched lips. She even learned to cry with her mouth closed during this time so we can't stuff anything in there. I've just realized that we were trying the solids when she wasn't hungry enough or too hungry. I've gotten her to eat chicken and rice mixed with carrots this week.  The bottle is still a problem though. She just wants to play with it, not drink it.
Lastly, this week has been another rough one. My husband brought home this virus called the Novovirus last Sunday, and convinced me it was food poisoning.  My sister in law was unable to watch Savannah on Monday due to her child having an ear infection, so thinking Jake only had food poisoning and he was on the up-swing he watched her.  She started showing symptoms of being sick Wednesday and then I ended up with it Thursday into Friday. The symptoms mimic food poisoning so you can guess what I had going on all night. I'm still not feeling great and can't eat much but we are all starting to get over it.

P.s One of the reasons i'm writing these posts, is because I have done many searches to get advice on some of these problems and I can't ever find anything useful. We are on our second pediatrician and she doesn't have any advice either.

No comments:

Post a Comment